If you have been reading my blog you know that I have a strong relationship with chocolate. Actually, I just read that over 5,900,000,000 people also share in my decadent habit (according to yahoo.com). Thankfully I can happily satisfy my craving, with no guilt, thanks to the medical research because dark chocolate has numerous health benefits being so rich in antioxidants;phytosterols and polyphenols. Avocados the next main ingredient in this recipe is also a ‘super food’, rich in monounsaturated fats, it is filled with anti-inflammatory beneficial fats and anti-oxidants as well. So this delicious dessert is a no brainer and easy to make and as the title says purely decadent!
Anyway, so armed with this little bit of knowledge about the health benefits of chocolate and avocados, I was ready to start experimenting in the kitchen, determined to turn this into the best raw chocolate pudding anyone has ever tried.
Here are a few variations that really work and taste divine. Just remember for optimal palate pleasure serve this chilled, it tastes much better …
with dates and honey….
1 medium avocado (ripe)
1/2 cup dates
2 1/2 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
1/4 cup water + 1/8 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons organic local honey
1/8 teaspoon celtic sea salt (or less)
1. Throw these raw chocolate avocado pudding ingredients into a high-speed blender. Start blending on slow and then up the blending speed to high.
2. Blend until looks consistent with pudding. If you have a good blender (AKA Vitamix or Blendtec) then you should be able to get this super smooth.You may need to add a tiny bit of extra water to facilitate blending
Best for kids; with banana, almond milk, cinnamon…..
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 to 1 ripe banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup raw cocoa powder (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup or agave nectar (more to taste if needed.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp almond or cashew butter (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of salt
The Directions: Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth! Serve chilled.
My favorite way because it has no sugar…stevia:
- 1 ripe organic avocado
- 1/2 cup homemade or store bought almond milk
- 1-1/2 TBSP raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 15 drops liquid stevia
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of chipotle chile powder or cayenne. I like it hot!
- Optional toppings: raw cacao nibs, raw almonds, raspberries, chia seeds, cinnamon currant flackers
- Halve and scoop flesh from avocado.
- Add almond milk, to Blendtec (or food processor), followed by avocado, raw cacao powder, vanilla, stevia, cinnamon, salt, chipotle powder.
- Blend or process until smooth and creamy.
- Taste to adjust sweetness. Raw cacao seems to require plenty of sweetness to round it out. If using stevia, add two or three drops at a time until you’ve achieved your ideal balance.
- Spoon into serving dishes and top with raw almonds and cacao nibs. Don’t skip adding something crunchy! The contrast of smooth and velvety with crispy is fabulous.