Over the weekend my neighbors invited me for dinner and made this fabulous kale and brussel sprouts salad. ( my version of the recipe below) Apparently I was seriously craving fresh greens because I am pretty sure I ate about 3/4 of the salad myself (sorry Ed and Mary- but I cannot resist delicious and healthy).
Last night when I was thinking about the salad and my mouth began to water I looked in the fridge found a fresh batch of dinosaur Kale, parsley, lemons, garlic and was immediately excited for another batch of super green salad (minus brussel sprouts) but I was ok with that. This morning I woke up and saw this article and I just had to share….
A new study shows that consuming green cruciferous vegetables may control the activity of vital immune cells by activating a gene in the GI system called t-bet. These immune cells help the body prevent infection caused by abnormal bacteria in the GI system. They are possibly also implicated in playing a role in food allerigies, inflammation, obesity even cancer. Apparently when we eat cruciferous vegetables, they can interact with the cell surface in the GI system to activate these genes that turn on these immune cells.
So lap up those cruciferous greens. Here is one super salad recipe….
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or red onion
- 1-2 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1/4-1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- optional; 1 cup/batch of fresh parsley ( I love a lot of parsley). Clean and de-stem and chop finely. also can shred carrots or cabbage or beets as well
Combine lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with flackers, almonds or dried fruit or fresh fruit or cheese of your choice or fake cheese of your choice…enjoy!